How to Write Your Rally Cry in Business and Get Your Shit BACK Together
Somewhere around the 50th sob last night…I decided to get my shit together.
That’s usually about when it happens…
I’ll be honest, I had high hopes for July. I thought family, hamburgers, businesses…this is going to be an amazing month! This is when everything will start really going uphill for me.
A few days later, I found out:
- A close friend passed
- I’d lost something I don’t know if I can ever have again
- Relationships…just…relationships. *sigh*
- Unexpected HUGE bills
- Received a message from a friend that kicked me while I was down.
Have I mentioned that it’s only the 10th of the month? By the time last night rolled around, I just felt broken. I felt beaten down by life. I cried until 5:30 in the morning before I realized that I had no choice BUT to pull myself together? But how do you pull yourself together when you don’t even want to get out of bed? What do you do to start turning things around, when ever your bed feels like a bed of nails and emotions?
You recite your rally cry. I’d LOVE to say mine is something poetic like the character in Cool Runnings. Nope. For as long as I’ve needed one…my rally has sounded pretty much the same.
“Come on Terra. Get your shit together. Your fucking better than this.”
I actually imagine a few of have motivational speeches very similar to mine. Why does that work so well? Because we spend EVERY DAY reciting the rest of the speech to ourselves. From sun up to sun down, I’m telling myself that I’ll get to those goals I’ve set for the day. I review the goals I’ve made for the month and give myself a pep talk to achieve them. I keep myself motivated by saying “one more article will get me closer to what I need”.
I remind myself that no one who works this hard…fails completely. I also remind myself that “this too shall pass”.
Pep talks and rally cries are SO important to our success. Most likely, you’ve been reciting them to yourself since you were a kid…but now I ask you to do one more thing. Write it down. It’s something that you need to stop saying out of habit…and recognize as absolute truth. Why? Because if your trying to TALK yourself into believing your rally cry…then it’s just another thing you aren’t succeeding at.
You need to know your goals are the absolute gospel in your business…because that is what will get you from one day to the next. It’s ok to crumble. It’s ok to cry. It’s perfectly fine to go through 5 boxes of tissues while you watch Sleepless In Seattle and think about how you are SO Meg Ryan in that movie.
That is ALL ok…
But you HAVE to be ready to pick yourself up when you’re done, brush yourself off, and pick up where you left off.
Business is a puzzle. You have keep twisting the pieces until you find the right fit…but trust me!!! The right fit is there!
Be sure you download the free mini-workbook to help you develop your own rally cry and mental wall. And in the meantime, read on for ways to turn your broken spirit upside down! Time to get off the rollercoaster!
- Is there a blog post you can write? Writing has always been a wonderful outlet for my emotions…so it’s one of the first places I look at as an outlet. Be sure your posts relate to your business topic…but pour your emotions into them. Not only is it cathartic, but your readers will appreciate your candor.
- Pace. This is something I do often. (Perhaps I should have been born an old man.) Instead of sitting on your couch, curled up in the fetal position, why don’t you try just moving. I’ve found that my mood almost immediately turns from depleted to thoughtful. I can process my emotions in a methodical way instead of everything running through my head haphazardly.
- Set a goal for revenge. Ok…maybe not revenge…but for “showing them”. If it’s a relationship getting in the way, tell yourself you’re better than this reaction and begin setting goals to pull yourself out of this emotion hell. I don’t know how healthy a psychiatrist will tell you this is…but I secretly want him to think “damn…I should have stayed for just a little longer.” THAT is my goal.
- Give yourself time to mourn. A problem I’ve made in the past is just…ignoring the pain. Then the pain builds and builds until the damn breaks and I’m lying in the middle of the bathroom floor sounding like Moaning Myrtle. Give yourself time to throw things, ugly cry, cuss…it’s healthy and feels SO good. If you think you feel week when you cry…understand that that’s ok too!! Feeling week now, makes you feel stronger when you’re ready to pick yourself back up.
- Make a plan for the next day. Whatever you do….don’t stay in bed and pull the covers over your head. Make a plan for YOU. Plan a day of pampering. I call them “Fuck Yeah, Me Days”. Crude…I know, but the name resonates the emotion and pick me up I need. My days usually revolve around me getting my nails done, dying my hair, buying a video game and baking something amazing. Oh…and amazing drinks. ALWAYS amazing drinks.
Life is hard…and for some reason we are insane, and have decided to make it even MORE difficult. But this makes us special. This makes us unique. This makes us stronger than most in life and relationships and shit shows.
So pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and get back on that damned horse! Because damn it…”you’ve fucking got this!”.
Get more of me on: