My Webinar Only Had One Attendee…And How I Plan to Profit From It

June 20, 2016

**These symbols denote an affiliate link. My policy to not recommend ANYTHING that I don’t use and love myself!! So if you ever have questions about an affiliate platform link I’ve provided, don’t hesitate to ask!!**

The Story

Yesterday (yes….seriously…this happened yesterday) I had a webinar.  I had a webinar that over 150 people signed up for (157 to be exact!)…so when I booted up the live streaming page and and waited patiently for people to show up, I was concerned when I saw that the total of people in the chat area was a whopping two!  Yes…two.  Myself and one other.

Holy shit.  Worst. Nightmare. Come. True.

What the hell was going on?? I was recording the webinar, so I decided to continue on like nothing happened.  I asked questions like I was talking to a room of 157…but inside I was blushing.  I was humiliated.

I’d spent the last two weeks promoting this bad boy.  It was some of the best content I’d ever written!!!  WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED??!!!

Human error…that’s what.

I sent out my “We are about to start” email thirty minutes before I went live, and like the dumbass I am when I’m in a hurry, I put the wrong link into the email.  Head/desk. When I got back to my inbox after the hour and a half webinar was over…I had an inbox FULL of “The link isn’t working!!” emails.

I. Was. SO pissed at myself.  Like…BEYOND the valley of the irritated.  I spent the next hour moping.  Then…I realized something. This might ACTUALLY be a blessing in disguise! I still had my original list, the slides are all done. The sign up page? Done.  The script? Done. This was my chance to DOUBLE the amount of viewers for the webinar!!  After all, I have my webinar launch agenda….I GOTS THIS!!!!!!!!

So…what’s my plan? I’m going to break down for you guys EXACTLY how I plan to market this bad boy and DOUBLE the traffic it was originally going to get!!  I’m going to go over how I’ll use my email list, which newsletters I’m going to send out, and the deets to the new webinar.

I’m breaking it aaaaaall down for you! So where do we start?

downloads-blog

Setting Goals

If you guys know me…you know I’m a HUUUUUUUUUGE goal setter and documenter. This is important for ANY event or product you launch (or just in business in GENERAL). You HAVE to have something you are pushing for.  My original goal for the webinar was to have 200 sign ups (didn’t quite get there) and 40-50 attendees (hey….every attendee counts!!! Even my one!!)

My new goal? 250 sign ups and 50-60 attendees.  I know I’m not increasing the goal by much…but I am actually focusing more on opt-in downloads and promoting through newsletters for this bad boy.

I have a financial goal for this one as well…but I’m gonna keep that one on the hush, hush for now.  If you see me grinning like a mad fool taking a selfie on Saturday afternoon…you’ll know why.

The Marketing Plan

Alright…HERE’S where we get down to the nitty gritty!!!  For the last few launches, I’ve had a marketing calendar (I’ll share it with you in the free download below!!) that has been a HUGE success!!!!  There’s a lot of automation involved, but a TON of hands on marketing as well…which is why I think it’s only increased my sign ups every go round!

The calendar involves blogging, tweeting, facebooking, livestreaming, newsletters…and a TON more!!  All done at the right time and right place for my audience. One thing I’ve learned…is that launch week is NOT easy, no matter HOW you slice it!

In fact…it’s bat shit CRAZY time!!

But, having a few calendars in your arsenal to keep your marketing and publications in line is key!!! (Two launches ago, I created “The Webinar and Course 90 Day Launch Agenda!”  It is LITERALLY my go to bible for keeping three webinars organized for a 90 Day course launch!!!)

Marketing Tools

Speaking of marketing…I have a TON of tools in my arsenal!!! The goal, first and foremost, is to automate as much of my marketing AS POSSIBLE!!! This involves using systems like “Meet Edgar”, “ConvertKit“**, CoSchedule and more to keep everything together!!

My recent FAVORITE tool is Twitter Cards!  WHAT IS THIS MAGIC!!!!!!!????? ConvertKit** allows me to create Twitter Cards for all of my opt-ins! This means, my Twitter followers can sign up for the free downloads directly from a Tweet!

Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 10.44.52 AM
I actually take this a step FARTHER and schedule these Twitter Cards to go out multiple times a day using MeetEdgar! As of today…I’m averaging between 15-20 newsletter sign ups a day!  Four months into blogging, and my list is at almost 500 peeps! (I switched from GetResponse to ConvertKit** last week….so the numbers are a little skewed. But 77 sign ups in 7 days aint too shabby!!!

Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 10.45.57 AM

I’ve included in the FREE launch kit below, a list of EVERY system I use to both automate and get all handsy in my marketing and launch plan!!

Email List

(Wow!!! These segues are AMAZING!) SPEAKING of email…how exactly am I using my opt-ins, funnels and newsletters to meet my sign up and profit goals?  Lemme break it down for you!!

First…I need to have a few things in place.  I have a TON of downloads for traffic building in the downloads library…and about HALF of them are specifically related to SEO.

Since this webinar is all about SEO and Long Tailed Keywords, these guys are my PERFECT customer!!!  I’m sending a SPECIAL email just to those folks…letting them know all about the webinar coming up and how it’s going to help them increase their traffic and meet the SEO goals for the year!!

So…my goal this week is to add a couple more SERIOUSLY amazing SEO tools (kinda like this kit?) into the library area! That will bring in a more targeted audience!

Next…I have two blog posts to write!!  One will be pinned to the top of my blog, so that it’s one of the first things visitors see when they come over to say hi!  Of course, there is an embed sign up within the post!

The second post will be almost completely informational!  All about long tailed keywords….and how to find them.  Once the reader has fallen in love with THAT awesome content, they’ll be more likely to want to learn more at the webinar!! So…of course there is a sign up within that blog post as well!

Next on the newsletter to-do list? The email sequence!! When you sign up for the webinar, you’ll receive an email that tells you exactly what we are going to go over, when to expect your (correct) live page link, and finally…what to do while you wait for Saturday to get here!!

I will also pre-write the reminder email to be sent out the day before the webinar…and the 1 hour until we begin AND the “We are starting!!” emails!!

Last on the list? Writing the emails with the replays, downloads (because I ALWAYS give free downloads!!) and sales codes!

I actually give you ALL of these emails, plus my webinar and course to-do lists and webinar outline in the 90 Day Course Launch Agenda!  I’m telling you…..CHECK IT OUT!!!  It will rock your socks!!!

Downloads (The Ultimate Downloads Kit)

I talked about the Freebies earlier in the post…but I want to reiterate how important these are!!! EVERY SINGLE POST on this blog has SOMETHING to opt-in to!!!  And we are NOT talking crappy somethings!!! We are talking seriously amazing and useful worksheets and I’ve used in my businesses for years.  Blog post SEO analysis, Ninja tricks for implementing your long tailed keywords, the 21 Day SEO Rookie Checklist and more! AND…just for getting this far in the post? I’m giving you guys a special FREE SEO Kit to download!!!!  I’ve never made a “kit” before. 0_0

So what’s included?

• List of all the tools I will use
  • My basic marketing to-do list
  • My basic email list outline I use for sales funnels
  • and the Goal creation sheet

2016 Mini Planner (1)

There’s a lot to launching a webinar (or any event and product for that matter)…but these tools will get you started on the right track!! If you’re looking for the WHOLE SHEBANG…like word for emails, calendars, outlines and an agenda to organize it all in, check out the agenda here!!!  It lays out, day by day, what you need to do to launch.  Essentially…I automated the process for you. 0_0

The Webinar

WANNA COME TO THE WEBINAR?????  It got RAVE reviews from the one person that managed to attend (and the 40 or so who’ve watched the replay)…lol.

Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 11.10.02 AM

Saturday June 25th, 2016 is the big day!!! Join us in the morning at 11am PST/ 2pm EST for step by step methods on niching down your blog and business, developing your long tailed keywords (keyphrases) and what to DO with said keyphrases!!  I’ve already practiced it…so all my inflections will be PERFECT!!! 😀

You can sign up here!!

Get The Free (1)

Whew!!! I guess that does it for ME today!!! I’m going on a blogging binge for the next few weeks…so you’ll see a lot of me in your inbox!!!  When you sign up for the download or webinar, you’ll be automatically signed up for the newsletter that I send out every Thursday with updates on the blog, events, freebies and the video library!

See you guys tomorrow!!!

Terra Dawn

comments that will give you traffic

Get more of me on:

Instagram

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

37 Comments

• lisa

June 21, 2016 at 11:42 am

There is so much great info here. I would have been so angry with myself too had I sent out the wrong link. But mistakes happen!

June 21, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Hahaha…THAT they do, Lisa!!!! 🙂 It was a learning experience, and I’ll think i’ll come out on top in the end!

• @EfabulousHB

June 21, 2016 at 12:02 pm

1. You are very brave to share your human error! Kudos to you for being human. 2. I totally love your plan and your post. You’ve given me a lot to think about for launching my own webinar. You rock!

June 21, 2016 at 12:06 pm

Awwww…thank you so much!!!! I was originally just going to reschedule and move on, but I thought…THIS is the fear EVERYONE who does a webinar for the first time has!!! Might as well tell them how I overcame it!! lmao.

YAY for launching your first webinar!!!!! Kick is bum!!! 😀

• Rese

June 21, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Great tis here. I have yet to ever offer a newsletter – I guess I just wouldn’t know what to add in one.

June 21, 2016 at 6:52 pm

The way I did it, was to create a series first!! What do you talk about on your blog? Maybe create a 7 day email series or a challenge! Then, let your readers know you’ll send them a newsletter with blog updates every Thursday (or whichever works best for you). Good luck with everything Rese!

• Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle

June 21, 2016 at 1:01 pm

This is such a great post. Mainly because it highlights the pitfalls of owning your own business. The part I like the most is how you used it to improve yourself in the long term. Which is also a big part of business.

June 21, 2016 at 6:50 pm

Thank you so much Stacie!! I’m not going to lie…I pouted for a while. 🙂 I think the re-scheduled webinar is going to go off without a hitch though! 😀

• Eloise

June 21, 2016 at 1:11 pm

blessings in disguise, they always happen! glad you took this as a learning opportunity and took advantage of making it even more profitable! great work! I really have to try the whole automated scheduling social media avenue for my blog, it’s so time consuming!

• Susannah

June 21, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Oh goodness, hopefully you’re looking back on this and laughing now! I’m glad you’re putting a positive spin on the error! <3

June 21, 2016 at 6:46 pm

Hahaha…well, not exactly LAUGHING…but HOPEFULLY I will be!!! Wish me luck this weekend Susannah!!

• jamie

June 21, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Oh, I would have been so ill with myself. Everyone has those moments though.

June 21, 2016 at 6:46 pm

Very true Jamie. I was a big girl about it. 🙂 I sulked…but I didn’t cry!!! In fact, I got a TON done that afternoon!! lol.

• Rachel

June 21, 2016 at 5:41 pm

We all make mistakes, don’t worry! I hope you’ll be sending out a replay of the webinar!

June 21, 2016 at 6:45 pm

I will be!!! I you sign up for this weekend’s webinar, I’ll shoot one your way!!Thanks Rachel!

• Jenn

June 21, 2016 at 6:00 pm

Sorry to hear about the mistake. Don’t beat yourself up, it happens to us all. At least you know the turnout would’ve been greater than 1 if the link worked. That’s good news. Loved reading your post.

June 21, 2016 at 6:44 pm

TRUTH!!!! It COULD have been worse Jenn!! lol. 🙂 I’m excited to give it another go this weekend.

• MyTeenGuide

June 21, 2016 at 7:18 pm

There are so many things to learn here. I hope I make it on the 25th. I know I will get a lot of information from the webinar.

June 22, 2016 at 1:02 pm

I hope you can too!!! 😀 It’s going to a lot of fun and SUPER informative!!

• Ref J

June 21, 2016 at 9:30 pm

First off, I love your ability to share your mistake AND inspire the rest of us at the same time. I have yet to jump into the webinar arena but I am preparing to give it a go. Thank you for sharing your experience and all of this incredible information. I have bookmarked this post and will come back to digest your tips in steps. Thanks for not letting your mistake from stopping you in your tracks. http://www.thebusinessref.co

June 22, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Thank you so much Ref J!!! I hope you dive in soon!!! It’s definitely not as scary as thought it would be AND the worst thing has already happened!!! Only going up from here!! 😀

• Jenny

June 21, 2016 at 10:16 pm

You turned the mistake around into a positive so good for you! 🙂 Can’t wait to check out your freebies.

xoxo, Jenny

June 22, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Woohoo!!! You’ll love them!!! I use them for my launches all the time and they are a SUPER help!!

• Kathy

June 22, 2016 at 6:40 am

I think this is a wonderful post. You live and learn that’s for sure. I’ve had similar things happen, just not with a webinar. It’s hard when only one person shows, but then again that one person still really helps!

June 22, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Thank you so much Kathy! The one person that showed has been a huge support!!! 😀 I was super happy to have her there!! lol.

• Vera Sweeney

June 22, 2016 at 7:58 am

Oh my gosh I could see myself making this mistake!! So glad you went through with the webinar still! Sounds like it was a good one!

June 22, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Hahaha…isn’t that the nightmare, though? lol. And it was a great webinar Vera!! I’m doing it again this weekend to give people the chance to ask questions and show up live!! My goal is to send out the RIGHT link this time!! lol.

• Tatanisha Pitts-Worthey

June 22, 2016 at 8:31 am

That must have been so frustrating! But the best thing is that you’ve found an amazing idea to turn it around and benefit from it. I’m so excited for you!

June 22, 2016 at 1:07 pm

Thank you so much Tatanisha!!! 😀 I can’t wait to give it another go this weekend!

• Ann Bacciaglia

June 22, 2016 at 12:37 pm

It is so frustrating when things like this happen. At least you were able to turn the situation around.

June 22, 2016 at 1:07 pm

Amen Ann!!! I pouted for a few minutes…then jumped back on the horse!!! I just hope I don’t fall off again!! lol.

• CourtneyLynne

June 22, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Ughhh I hate it when silly mistakes happen! We all make them though so no biggie 😉

• Amanda

June 22, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Great job turning the situation around and sharing the silver lining like this – so positive. Love it! Great content. 🙂

June 24, 2016 at 11:42 pm

Thank you so much Amanda!!

• Alison

June 26, 2016 at 6:36 am

Oh no, how frustrating! But at least you’re turning your error into a positive and hopefully other people will learn from it too.

June 27, 2016 at 10:29 am

I sure hope so Alison!! The second webinar was glitchy…but a success as well!!! 😀

• How to Write a Post That Will Increase Sign Ups & Make You Money – Uncork Your Dork – Nerdy Small Business Design

October 12, 2016 at 3:47 pm

[…] recommendation should be natural…and there for a reason!!! For example, in my blog post “My Webinar Only Had One Attendee…”, I include a section with the tools I use to put my webinars together.  Two of those tools are […]